No subject

Wed Apr 21 10:47:30 UTC 2010

 TechMeetup Glasgow June
#12<http://techmeetup.co.uk/blog/2010/06/techmeetup-glasgow-june-12/>

Techmeetup #12 will be held on *Wednesday 23rd June*, 7:00pm-late, in space
generously donated by the Glasgow Media Access
Centre<http://www.g-mac.co.uk/>(GMAC for short).  GMAC is located on
the fifth floor of Trongate
103<http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=3Dq&source=3Ds_q&hl=3Den&geocode=3D&q=
=3DG1+5HD&sll=3D53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=3D16.942262,46.538086&ie=3DUTF8&hq=
=3D&hnear=3DGlasgow,+Lanarkshire+G1+5HD,+United+Kingdom&z=3D16>=96
come checkout the
*new digs!*

TechMeetup is a monthly get together for tech chat, talks, pizza & beer =96
turn up around 7pm and we=92ll be there to welcome you and introduce you to
the nearest members of the local tech community.  Whether you=92re a code
monkey, a designer, an academic, a start-up addict or you=92re running an
established business, you=92ll meet folks walking your talk.

Following a bit of chat we generally kick off 1 or 2 informal talks on
topics covering the desktop, mobile, & console, some leading Scottish light=
in the commercial environment, and then some academic stuff I didn=92t
understand =96 check out the videos <http://vimeo.com/techmeetup> for more
background!

Up this month we have *Matt Wynne* <http://mattwynne.net/> on *Behavioural
Driven Development with Cucumber*.  Matt=92s a long-time evangelist of agil=
development and comes with some great experience from the likes of
SongKick.com <http://www.songkick.com/> and the BBC <http://www.bbc.co.uk/>=
.

*Examples are one of the most powerful tools we have for learning. When we
build software for people, we want to learn as much as possible about what
they want, as quickly as possible, in order to build them just the right
thing. Using examples to explore and capture requirements is a great way to
bridge the communication gap between stakeholders and programmers, and
discover any misunderstandings or false assumptions. *

*Cucumber is a tool for writing these examples in a format that can easily
be read by both stakeholders and, crucially, the computer itself. By making
them machine-readable, we can build up a suite of executable requirements
(or acceptance tests) which you can use to check the behaviour of the syste=
as it=92s built. Matt will describe Cucumber, explain why we need it, and s=
how
some examples of how it can be used to create better software faster.*

P.S. arrive 7pm sharpish or you=92ll miss the pizza!*
*