[Scottish] Broadband advice

Paxton, Darren Darren.Paxton at mercer.com
Wed Jan 5 14:01:12 UTC 2011

Hi Jason

I'm with Virgin Media at present in the Merseyside area. The main issue I see with them at present is the "traffic optimisations" they are currently employing. I'm on the 50meg package so I shouldn't have experienced any of this as yet, but this may change.

As Jack said, some love them some hate them. Personally I've had good experiences from them apart from the odd outage and I've just had my upload speed bumped up to 5Mbps. On the lower packages, basically they sap about 60% of your possible speed if you breach certain limits on daily use, but I've even heard nightmare stories of customers on the 50meg package being disconnected for using it too much (but not being told what their fair use limits are).

Tech support are pretty poor. Mainly due to 99% of the time getting through to an offshore desk reading a script who panic when you start speaking technically to them. If you can get through to Knowlsley where the ex-telewest staff are, then they are much better, but there's no guarantees.

Traffic management policy - http://shop.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management/traffic-management-policy.html & http://shop.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management/traffic-management-faster-uploads.html

Customer Forums which may give a view to how good/bad they are -  http://community.virginmedia.com/

If you are telecommuting, is it worth looking at a business package with agreed SLAs if you're spending most of the time working remotely.

HTH

Darren

This e-mail and any attachments may be confidential or legally privileged.If you received this message in error or are not the intended recipient, you should destroy the email message and any attachments or copies, and you are prohibited from retaining, distributing, disclosing or using any information contained herein. Please inform us of the erroneous delivery by return e-mail. Thank you for your co-operation.

Mercer Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority. Registered in England No. 984275.  Registered Office: 1 Tower Place West, Tower Place, London, EC3R 5BU.