[Scottish] Random Hacks of Kindness Glasgow Cybersecurity Special Event

Lisha Sterling lishevita at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 11:41:22 UTC 2013

Hello Everyone!

On 7th and 8th September, Geeks Without Bounds and ScotlandHacks are
teaming up to bring you a special Random Hacks of Kindness hackathon built
around Cybersecurity for Humanitarian and Educational projects. We'll have
speakers in to talk about various aspects of Cybersecurity, the concerns of
security around crisis management, healthcare and education software,
writing better code, and considering privacy from software architecture all
the way through to complete systems design. Then you'll have the
opportunity to put your skills to use working on a variety of challenges
that will improve the security of existing humanitarian open source
software or you can add your knowledge to a project for creating better
teaching materials aimed at secondary students.

We'll have a small lab set up for penetration testing of some of the
projects, too.

Bring the skills you have -- whatever they are -- and learn some new ones.
Meet people from the Open Rights Group, UK Cybersecurity Challenge, and
some of the cybersecurity programs at universities and colleges in Scotland.

Since most of the challenges in this event are designed around programs
that are already in use, work done during this weekend has the potential to
have an immediate impact on real-world applications that are being used by
individuals, governments and NGOs already. That means that you can walk
away from this event knowing that your weekend will have had a real impact.

Find out more about Random Hacks of Kindness Glasgow Cybersecurity Event at
http://scotlandhacks.org.uk and follow us at http://twitter.com/rhok_glasgow

Or sign up right now at http://rhok-glasgow.eventbrite.co.uk

The event is free, but space is limited and we need to finalize numbers
with the venue and caterers this weekend. Tell your friends and colleagues.
Help us make this event as much fun as International Space Apps Challenge
was in April!

Thank you!

- Lisha Sterling

--