[Scottish] Scottish Digest, Vol 355, Issue 1

Roland Ward roland at primitive.co.uk
Mon Dec 9 13:12:55 UTC 2013

OpenWRT is a really good solution for routers - as long as you have the
storage on them (the flash drives can be very small!) you can do
anything you want with them. Oh plus the ability to SSH back home to
your router is always good (yes I know you can port forward your Pi for
that too)  I've not really used dd-wrt and I hear that's also good but I
really like the documentation on OpenWRT. Be warned though you need to
be really careful to get the exact model listed.

I'd also recommend the Draytek routers. They are more expensive but they
have a wealth of features - QOS, separating wifi traffic, syslog etc.
I've always used the 2800 and 2820 series and they've worked really well.

The rest? Well you get what you pay for sadly. I'd rather pay more for a
router that does the right thing. It's going to sit there for the next
5-10 years doing it's job well and not causing problems. So what if it's
not just £20?

--
Roland Ward
Primitive Designs