[Scottish] UK Hosting? was BBS / mini social network network software

David Robertson david at davidr.me
Fri May 3 22:12:35 UTC 2013

You seem to be looking for shared hosting, but if an (unmanaged) VPSS takes
your fancy, then bhost.net is surprisingly good for the price and is hosted
in the UK.

David.

On 3 May 2013 21:36, "Colin McKinnon" <colin.mckinnon at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Currently the software evaluation list looks like pligg / anahita /
openoutreach.

> ...but I'm also looking for any recommendation on cheap UK-based hosting.
>
> While I can find lots of very cheap hosting companies claiming to operate
in the UK - nearly all of them have their datacentres in the US/Canada.
It's not that I've got anything against the former colonies - but I already
have a site hosted in Florida, and although packets go back and forth at
around half the speed of light (I measured it - how sad) the latency is a
killer.

> Uk2.net do have at least one datacentre here - but for the basic package
they don't tell you where it's hosted / don't give you any choice in the
matter. Easyspace seem happy to wave the flag. I've used 123-reg for DNS
before, but not for web hosting - but they don't explicitly say their
datacentres are in the UK. Anybody used any of them?

> Aiming for something under £5/mo
>
> Any other suggestions?
>

> On 19/04/13 23:50, Colin McKinnon wrote:
>>
>> On 19/04/13 19:06, Ronald MacDonald wrote:
>>>
>>> I've had a good bit of success with Symphony. Drupal's great too and
tends to be what I use if I need a site up real quick. It is, however,
overkill in most instances.

>> Thanks Ronald, Lisha, Kenny.
>>
>> I'm rather being pulled in 2 directions here. On the one hand, the
programmer in me wants something simple to tinker with and extend, but I
keep reminding myself that I just don't have the time to do that and need a
turn-key solution.