ScotLUG :: Thursday 24th May 2018

Kenny Coyle kenny at heloo.net
Mon May 21 10:00:49 UTC 2018

Hey all!

The next ScotLUG meeting will be on Thursday 24th May at the usual spot,
the Electron Club in the CCA. We should be kicking around the Electron Club
around 6:45 PM. We will be aiming to start the talk at 7:30 PM.

This month, we have Alistair McInkay talking about the state of current IRC
services.

Proprietary, hosted chat services are becoming the norm in businesses and
even for open source projects. Why are they not using IRC?

Using a proprietary, hosted chat service restricts businesses and
communities in what they do with their data, it provides vendor lock in,
and fragments the chat industry. There are reasons that these chat services
are used, and the IRC community needs to respond to this.

This talk will go over the reasons that people use modern chat clients like
Slack, and how we can make IRC more modern to allow people to come back to
a more open chat protocol, while not alienating existing users and dealing
with backwards compatibility.

Following the talk we will be adjourning to a local bar, this is likely to
be the Terrace Bar of the CCA.

Hope to see you all there!

Thanks,

Kenny.