[Sderby] (no subject)

Clive Jones sderby at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Aug 27 12:36:00 2002

On Tuesday 27 Aug 2002 11:38 am, Gerry Mayfield wrote:

> Clive Jones (whose e-mail crashes my outlook, but never mind)

My email isn't anything fancy - it is in plain text but is digitally signed.
This email isn't signed so shouldn't hit any bugs in Outlook.

> some help and I deduce that the folder '/root/Desktop2/Trash' is then part
> of the the '/' directory.  This folder has HUNDREDS of entries and while I
> have deleted some I need a safe way of clearing these.  I assume this is
> the trash can from the GUI.  Can this be done from Webmin?

The home directory of root is /root/, not /home/root/.  This means that the
/home partition can fill up and you can still log in as root to sort the
problem out.  Your problem is the other way around though :-(

It is the GUI trashcan.  Deleting the files will probably be easier using a
command shell.  I'd start with 'rm -f filenamemask' in the trash directory to
erase a few of the bigger files.

> I am running Caldera Openlinux.  I believe there is a command to launch the
> GUI (it currently is running in command line). Can someoe assist with yhis
> command?

Try startx when already logged on.  I'd erase some of the files manually first
though, as a GUI will require additional temporary hard disk space which you
may not have.

HTH

C.