[Sderby] (no subject)

Clive Jones sderby at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Aug 28 01:47:01 2002

On Tuesday 27 Aug 2002 2:36 pm, Gerry Mayfield wrote:
> Sorry, being thick here..  (by the way removing that signature clears my
> problem, Thanks)

Apparently Eudora and the bat are both more capable mail clients if you want a
workaround for this bug?

> I have:-
>
> /
> 	/etc
> 	/home
> 	/root
> 	/usr
>
> (editted as an example)
>
> The /home is the '/home' partition ?
> the /root is the '/' partition
>  so which partition (for example) is the /usr in? I am struggling to
> understand the boundaries of these 3 partitions.

/ is the root of the tree.  In unix everything is treated as a file, and gets
'plumbed in' this tree structure, including devices.

When the OS boots, the / partiton is mounted at / (/ is the root partition.
/root/ is associated with the user root, and is just a subdir not the root
partition). /home/ is an empty subdirectory on / initially.  When your other
partition is mounted as /home/ it replaces this subdirectory.  /usr/ is
therefore on the '/' partition unless another partition has been mounted at
that point in the tree.  In your case it hasn't.  The command mount will show
which partions are mounted at which points in the tree.

> Sorry for being thick

This doesn't make you thick, it just means it hasn't been explained properly
yet ;)

C.