[Sderby] Meetings and hard drives

David Bottrill sderby at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Aug 31 01:01:00 2002

On Fri, 2002-08-30 at 11:11, Kris Adcock wrote:
> Does anyone know of a Linux distribution which ONLY does remote X-windows
> stuff. Basically, the 'floppy or CDR' that is mentioned below? I'm about to
> setup the office of a local charity with a computer system, and its highly
> likely that it will be an LTSP system with a SuSE 8.0 server. But I have
> some small hard-discs (around 400 meg) which I could install such a
> distribution on, rather than finding network cards with boot sockets and
> making the ROMs.

Have a look at LTSP they have just what you need, also they tell you how
to configure the whole shooting match from client through to the server.

You can either burn a boot EPROM (instructions supplied) for most
suitable network cards, or make a bootable floppy, the main X-windows
client is downloaded by TFTP from the main server so the boot
requirement is only a few hundred KB in size. I was reading a review
about a LTSP project a few weeks ago and the writer was saying how he
had built a client with a low spec Pentium, with no CPU fan, he removed
the fan from the PSU and used a boot ROM. He therefore ended up with a
totally silent client. He later replaced all the PCs in his office with
similar clients and the silence was so noticeable they could hear the
clock ticking for the first time.

David