[Sderby] Mounting a digital camera

David Bottrill sderby at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Dec 31 20:20:00 2002

On Tue, 2002-12-31 at 15:59, Mini Mike wrote:
> Assuming you have no other SCSI devices or devices like CDwriters/USB storage,
> etc using SCSI emulation, it will probably be /dev/sda.
>
> If you look in KDE Control Center, under Information > Available hardware >
> Disks, you should see it.  Look at the details and it should have the device
> file in there.
>
> Mike.
>
> On Monday 30 December 2002 20:47, andre.hefer@avhservices.co.uk wrote:
> > David or Ashley
> >
> > What do I have to do to get Suse 8.0 to see my digital camera? I have
> > ensured that the USB port is functional and Suse is reporting the camera's
> > compact flash as a "disk". I presume that I have to mount it onto the file
> > system but cannot see any likely candidates in the /dev/*** bit of dmesg.
> >
> > What am I missing.
> >
> > Andre

Andre,

Mike is right providing you have no other SCSI devices then the camera
should appear as sda so you should be able to mount sda1 as a FAT
volume. However not all cameras and card readers seem to work correctly.
My camera didn't work with 8.0 and I've never tried it since I upgraded
to 8.1. The original compact flash reader I bought with the camera also
failed on SuSE8.0. I have since bought a Omniflash UnoMas card reader,
the version I have has slots for MMC/SD Smart Media, Compact Flash and
Sony Memory sticks. I bought this as it was advertised as working with
Linux and it does, each card slot looks like a different SCSI drive sda
though sdd. I have read that at least some of the SanDisk card readers
also work with Linux. I haven't bothered linking up the camera as my
camera powers-off automatically after a few minutes which is not a good
idea if it is still mounted as a drive, also the camera consumes a lot
of power. My card reader is powered from the USB so you can leave the
disk mounted as long as you like.

David

--
David Bottrill <david.bottrill@ntlworld.com>