[Sderby] Hello to All from new member Chris with ntl Cable Modem prob

David Bottrill sderby at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Nov 21 22:54:01 2002

Welcome, Chris,

Does your Cable modem have an Ethernet port? that would be the simplest
way to connect to Linux or Windows. You would have to install an
Ethernet card unless your motherboard has one inbuilt. Simply configure
the card for DHCP (Dynamic configuration) and all should be well.

I've had NTL cable for 2 1/2 years and it sure beats a dial-up service.

You should as a matter of urgency configure a firewall on your box to
protect you from the nasty Internet world. I think Mandrake comes with
"Firewall Builder" which is an excellent firewall configuration GUI.

Even better, if you have an old PC, stick in a couple of Ethernet cards
and install "SmoothWall" (www.smoothwall.org) this will protect you a
treat.

David Bottrill

Hi Linux peeps - new member Chris here.  I've been running MD 8.2 >
since around April.  It's the first distribution that worked 'out of the
box' for me, but (shock!, horror!) I've had to go back to Windoze due to
this cable modem.  Inevitably, ntl supports Windoze, so it's made to run
as part of the install.  When I switch to MadDuck, though, it recognises
the modem as a usb modem, but requests drivers. That's great - there are
none anywhere!!  Nothing on the mfrs website (it's an Ambit 351000,
badged as an ntl:home 100), nor from ntl.  Prodigious websearches have
produced nothing.  Dear ol' ntl have taken down my dial-up account , so
I have no net access in MD :-(

Has anyone succeeded in getting this modem running in a Red Hat based
distro?  If so, a few pointers would be really appreciated.  Thanks in
anticipation

Chris