[Sderby] Virtual Meetings

Alan Blockley sderby at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Oct 22 22:28:01 2002

Hi All

This is the story so far.  I have created a channel on my own personal IRC
Server called '#sderby'.  I am in the middle of creating a bot which will be
able to not only reserve the channel for us, but also keep a log of all that
goes on so people can look back later for information and also I am creating
a file sharing area based on the IRC protocol.  Any files you wish to share
which is generally overly big for the mailing list, you can upload to the
area.  I have set a max file size of 1GB so even those 1 CD firewall
distro's can go up there.

As well as these wonderful things, I will also be developing an online
"InfoBot".  You say "!What is Linux" and it _SHOULD_ reply "Linux is an
operating system not owned by a totally rich, money grabbing nice man ;)".
Or maybe it's relevant answer.  Either way, it can be a database which can
help newer people to LUG and as a reference guide to the rest of us.

To get onto the server you will need to obtain a copy of an IRC client.
Such clients are Xchat, irssi, BitchX, ircii and may i dare mention mIRC and
PircH.  The server's IP is 212.85.248.76 (or manchester.uk.b2irc.net).  This
server is being used by other people (Mainly those with interest in anime.
But this will help "build/develop" the network).  Also contributing to the
opensource community.  Most the people on this network are linux users and
can even contribute if they wish to do so.

----------------------
Quick IRC Command Ref:
----------------------

To join a server - /SERVER <ip>:[port]
e.g. /server 212.85.248.76

To join a channel - /JOIN <#chan>[key]
e.g. /JOIN #sderby

To send a private message - /MSG <user> <message>
e.g. /MSG Windows_User Use linux, it's good!

To show an "Action" - /ME <action>
e.g. /ME disagree's with using Windows

To open a private chat window - /QUERY <user>
e.g. /QUERY Linux_User

To kick an abusive user from the channel - /KICK <user> [reason]
e.g. /KICK Windows_User Go away, this is not #MS

If you need any other information then please feel free to email me.  I
might even make a script for mirc to help with this.  Also, it may be handy
if someone could put these details on the web to help others connect later.

Hope this all is OK

Regards,

Alan Blockley
(Work: alanb@aptsol.com)