[Sderby] modem

David Jolley sderby at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Oct 26 21:49:00 2002

* mark wilkes (mwdl12311@blueyonder.co.uk) wrote:
> David, Dom, Dave & lads
>
> I have inserted the following script into  /etc/init.d/boot.local to ensure my
> modem works on bootup without having to load the modules everytime.
>
> # Here you should add things, that should happen directly after booting
> # before we're going to the first run level.
> ./configure --with-hal=pct789
> make
> insmod pctel
> insmod ptserial
> mwilkes@linux:/etc/init.d
>
> This works ok but if I hang up and then later try to reconnect to the web my
> machine reboots itself.
> My modem is a hsp micromodem 56K. Running suse 8.0.
>
> Also I cannot shutdown properly from script or using the GUI the shutdown acts
> correctly but stops responding at the line Firewall personal ....etc.

I assume you've followed the pctel HSP HOWTO to the letter - made all
the changes to modules.conf.  Someone who has more experience with
suse might like to comment, but I know that for most major
distributions, changes to modules.conf won't persist because an
automatic process (at boot?) may overwrite modules.conf with what it
thinks it should be.  So you may need to change modules.conf in a way
which is compatible for suse - I could tell you how Debian does it,
but that wouldn't be too much use to you.
Basically, check that your option to set the country code is still in
modules.conf.  If it still is, ignore all this, it's something else.

Can I just inquire why 2 build steps are in your
/etc/init.d/boot.local so that you rebuild the modules every boot?  I
doubt that they do anything anyway, as they will be executed in the
directory that init is running in.  This won't have too much bearing
on the crashes, but it is a waste of time to do it.

Am I correct in assuming that when you load the module manually that
it won't crash at all, and that it'll power down correctly?

Cheers,

Dave.

--
Pieces of seven! Pieces of seven!