[Sderby] Email sync

Jak sderby at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Sep 12 11:03:01 2002

New to the list, so firstly, "Hello all!"

Mike,

I've found that using Pop3 with leave a copy on the server can be a bit of a
pain (depending on the mail client) as the two machines have different ideas
about what messages are unread, and what aren't... although this is
basically a cosmetic issue, it's still a bit irritating after a while.

At least with IMAP you're basically looking at one store, which records
read/unread etc, and can also have filters/message processing running which
means that you don't end up with different sets of folders and all sorts of
mixed rules and filters running.

Personally, I'd go for the IMAP option - both machines are basically
subservient to the IMAP server, and do what they're told (in theory!),
rather than having them each thinking they are the sole client... Plus, when
you delete a message on one machine, the other will update all by itself,
rather than having to delete the message 2 or three times.

Really it boils down to convenience and repetition - Personally I don't
trust my own memory enough to run 2 pop clients :-)

Jak

PS

Didn't spot any particular protocol for introductions to the list, so just
thought I'd say Hello...