[Sderby] Home server query

Ashley Heath sderby at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Apr 27 12:32:01 2003

On Sun, 27 Apr 2003 12:06:05 +0100
"Adrian Wood" <adrianwood3@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I'm hoping to run a permanent FTP server, as well as my own e-mail server,
> and I was wondering if anyone had any advice that could help me?
>
> It will be connected to the internet through a Linksys hub/router. It will
> need to allow external access to the server features, but without
> interfering with the other PCs (which all run Windows, I'm afraid) use of
> FTP and e-mail from other sources.

Hi Adrian,

Any of the Linux Distros will do what you require, its personal preference at the end of the day. Try to start with one of the easier to grasp distros such as Mandrake or Suse or if you know someone that has Linux experience it may be worth starting with the distro they use.

As the box will be a dedicated server, only install the features you need, this will help keep down the amount of disk space and memory required and will cut down the work when you come to secure the box. A gui is not required for an ftp and email server, but if you are not comfortable with using the command line, either install one of the GUI's and only start it when you need to carry out admin or use something like webmin where you can administer the server via a web browser.

Restrict the FTP and email, only relay mail to and from your domain, you don't want to become an open relay and get blacklisted.

A must to any directly connected internet systems is a firewall, only allow access to the services that need to be publicly available ie ftp and email.

You may also want to look at other security depending on your needs etc.

If you are still unsure or need any help setting up the server why not bring the box along to one of the LUG meetings, there are plenty of members always willing to help.

Next meeting is today at 2:30pm, then at the same time on May the 18th and every 3 weeks after that. Details on the LUG website.

Reagrds,
Ash