[Sderby] Home server query

Adrian Wood sderby at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Apr 27 13:06:02 2003

>From: Ashley Heath <aheath@clikmail.net>
>To: sderby@mailman.lug.org.uk
>Subject: Re: [Sderby] Home server query
>Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 12:32:31 +0100
>
>On Sun, 27 Apr 2003 12:06:05 +0100
>"Adrian Wood" <adrianwood3@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm hoping to run a permanent FTP server, as well as my own e-mail
>server,
> > and I was wondering if anyone had any advice that could help me?
> >
> > It will be connected to the internet through a Linksys hub/router. It
>will
> > need to allow external access to the server features, but without
> > interfering with the other PCs (which all run Windows, I'm afraid) use
>of
> > FTP and e-mail from other sources.
>
>A gui is not required for an ftp and email server, but if you are not
>comfortable with using the command line, either install one of the GUI's
>and only start it when you need to carry out admin or use something like
>webmin where you can administer the server via a web browser.

Ahh, I was going to ask about a program to remote-admin the box! Once it's
set up, it's going to be tucked away without a monitor, keyboard etc
connected, so something like that would be extremely helpful.

>Restrict the FTP and email, only relay mail to and from your domain, you
>don't want to become an open relay and get blacklisted.

There's the rub; I don't have a domain. I'm hoping that, as I'm only going
to be using it rarely for a select group of people to contact me on, it
shouldn't be a problem.  There may well be only one e-mail on the server,
ine. I have to admit, I wasn't aware that this would be a problem, could you
elaborate on this?

>A must to any directly connected internet systems is a firewall, only allow
>access to the services that need to be publicly available ie ftp and email.

I should have mentioned; the Linksys router also acts as a fully-stealthed
firewall.

>If you are still unsure or need any help setting up the server why not
>bring the box along to one of the LUG meetings, there are plenty of members
>always willing to help.

I may well do that; not today, I'm afraid, but perhaps at the next, if I
don't have it sorted by then.

Thanks a lot, your information is very helpful!

Surf together with new Shared Browsing
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/browse&pgmarket=en-gb&XAPID=74&DI=1059