[Sderby] Derby Community Wireless LAN

Mike Hemstock sderby at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Aug 27 22:35:00 2003

Folks,

Following the advent of 802.11b wireless networking, a few innovative people
have set upon the idea of Community Wireless LANs.  The idea being to wire
people together onto a giant wireless LAN.  Offering 11Mbs connections to
those services available on the LAN and gateways to the internet.  A few
friends and I have set upon the idea of setting up a Community Wireless LAN
here in Derby and are appealing to the better nature of the people of SDerby
LUG for assistance in setting this up.

The idea is very much in the earliy stages at the moment, but what we need is
some innovative people to help get if off the ground.  If anyone is
interested I'm willing to give a presentation on the idea at the next LUG
meeting on Sunday, but as a basic guide the initial plan is as follows.

Firstly we need a number of people in and around Derby to act as nodes that
local people can access.   Those nodes that are close enought together can be
linked.  Eventually as we get more and more nodes we will have a network
which should span most of Derby.  We will need:

* Volenteers to setup nodes
* Locations (as high as possible)
* Kit (old PCs to use as nodes
* Old compact flash cards (to be used instead of HDDs)
* Wireless kit
* People who know a lot about radio propergation
* A webmaster
* Anything I've missed
* etc

Initially, please subscribe to the Derby Community Wireless LAN mailing list
if you are interested.