[Sderby] Derby Community Wireless LAN

Dan Peachey sderby at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Aug 28 08:45:01 2003

Hi,

Just to add to Mike's e-mail, I have set up a node on the rooftop of Derby
College in Pride Park Way.

It's basically an old PC running Debian with the HostAP wireless drivers
which allows the 802.11b card in the PC to act as an access point so people
can connect to it with client adaptors. The wireless card is connected to a
12db Omni antenna so this should give good coverage over parts of Alvaston,
Allenton and Chaddesden - possibly even further to Shelton Lock and
Chellaston - but I'm not sure yet as I haven't done much testing so far.

There is no broadband connection on the node currently but if there is
interest shown in getting a wireless network setup around Derby then
connecting to broadband from this node is a possibility.

If anyone wants any info about connecting to the node just drop me an
e-mail.

Cheers,

Dan