[Sderby] Junk mail, lets get our own back 8)

Jak Carr sderby at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Jan 23 20:06:02 2003

This is a MIME encoded message.

--=_9e5c878feca4702670696b3b0bfb2da3

Absolutely. And chances are that even if these addresses are valid (like
temp yahoo ones), once used for a spam run, will NEVER be checked again!
So you'll have wasted your time...

Another classic Spammer trick - aside from temporary, or "disposable" free
email service addresses such as yahoo, is not only to forge address, as
Ashley quite correctly points out - but also to use addresses harvested
from the web or other sources as reply-to addressess! In other words, the
victim of the spammer has their address used by the spammer for replies!

We recently had some pornographer in the states use one of our support
email address for this purpose, and we got some VERY irate messages about
it from people who don't read their mail headers closely enough... heh...
It's still horrible to see a failure message with one of your email
addresses as the reply to with a subject line of HOT GIRLZZZZ or
somesuch...

Point is, some innocent user somewhere gets their mailbox filled up with
your retaliation messages... and the spammer wins.

Jak

>One other thing to consider is that most spammers use made up return
addresses which means they will never get your mail, the end result leaves
you receiving more mail when the delivery failure comes back to you.