[Sderby] kppp & SuSE Linux 8.1

david joseph sderby at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Jan 24 01:06:02 2003

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Hello everyone, and belated new year's greetings. &nbsp;I've just installed Suse
Linux 8.1 professional, and (sigh) here I go again, endless hours trying
to get a working system up and running - one that I can use to do some<u>
productive</u> &nbsp;computing. <br>
It's so frustrating - I know I'm not alone - endless re-installs, endless
loads of just about every distribution going in a fruitless search for the
holy grail of a useable Linux system and of course endless hassles along
the way. And I still don't have even a basic bog standard Linux system that
I can use!. &nbsp;No wonder Microsoft rule the universe!<br>
Anyway sorry for the rave, but I can't get the kppp dialer work - even when
I'm logged in as root! It dials out ok, then promply dies.<br>
Trying to use kppp to dial out for any other user is even move hopeless -
just get the message &nbsp;- "you have insufficient permissions etc" - well I've
tried using chmod etc and even editing &nbsp;/etc/pam.d (changing required to
sufficient in every permutation!) So what am I missing? What really drives
me nuts is that I had no problems with kppp when I was running SuSE 7.3 A
few more incremental improvements like that and SuSE will be following Mandrake
down the pan of computing history.<br>
I really feel that the Linux community needs to address the issue of making
Linux more user friendly and easier to set up. &nbsp;What's the point of thousands
of programmes yet not being able to access the internet or have a half decent
word processor available.<br>
If you enjoy playing with computers great - but if you also want to use a
computer in other productive ways Linux is not that great.<br>
When I attended a sderby LUG meeting last year, I was impressed by the fluency
and knowledge of some of the members - but it was also reassuring to find
that my experiences with Linux were not unique.<br>
I really want to see Linux succeed - but there are some serious issues to
be addressed. <br>
Any comments anyone - and please don't jump down my throat for telling you
your baby is ugly and you've dressed it funny.<br>
I still prefer Linux to Windows.<br>
Sorry this has turned into War and Peace - I expect it's an unforgivable
breach of Netiquete<br>
Yours to a cinder, David Joseph<br>
p.s. this come to you courtesy of wvdial<br>