[Sderby] Skipper

Mr Alan Carter sderby at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Jan 26 00:48:01 2003

> Anyone had a go at installing Skipper yet? Which version of SuSE does
it
> install best on?

The current doco follows an exact install on SuSE 8.0. Anyone with any
kind of UNIX experience should have no problem building and installing
on any Linux or even FreeBSD though.

What's important is getting the packages it requires loaded. These are:

bison : for building the slighly hacked ctwm
flex : for parsing the onscreen menu config
fltk : the graphics toolkit for the onscreen menus
fltk-devel : as above
mesa-devel : required by fltk-devel
xdevel : as above

The exact packages for X and Mesa will vary according to the distrib.

The "Installing Festival" page gives detailed instructions for
downloading and building the Festival voice synth from Edinburgh
University (it good fun and I heartily recommend playing with it), and
the "Installing Skipper" page gives detailed instructions for adjusting
the /etc/XF86Config and /etc/inittab files.

There's a simple skipper/install shell script that installs all the
executables, which you can look at to see what it does. These files
should be standard across all distribs.

Then you just run the skipuser script to set up each user's .profile
and .xinitrc files - look in it if you're running a different distrib.

Because the X server has to read from /dev/skipper instead of /dev/ps2
or (whatever) and XF86Config is a global resource, each user of the
system has to run a minimal version of the input processing layer. That'
s what skipuser does. So if you've got a nice profile of your own, look
in skipuser and do something equivalent by hand!

I've got Skipper 1.5.1 ready to upload to the website, which is a
little more friendly if you want to play with the graphical input
processing while using the onscreen menus. I'll see if I can connect my
Linux box to the phone (depending on nephews) and upload tommorrow.

Any problems, drop me a line.

Thanks for the interest!

Alan