[Sderby] X freezes every time I use it!

James Carter sderby at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Jul 13 13:18:01 2003

David Robson wrote:

>>Hi
>>
>>For some reason every time I log into my system I end up having to hit
>>the reset button because X has frozen; No keyboard or mouse input is
>>possible. This even happens even when I have no applications running,
>>using Gnome or KDE. Are there any logs that I can look at to find which
>>process is causing this to happen?
>>
>>James
>>

> hi,
>
> I just joined the list so hi everyone else first ;-), anyway, you might find
> something useful in /var/log/XFree86.0.log (i think that's the default log
> location for X - if not try a find for that file) - if there is nothing
> useful in that file, could you tell us if this problem happens as X starts,
> or at random points - if its as X starts, have you tried using a 640x480 8
> colour screen setup?...
>
> - --
> Rob

Hi Rod

I had a look in the log, nothing obvious there, the last lines are

GetModeLine - scrn: 0 clock: 94500
GetModeLine - hdsp: 1024 hbeg: 1072 hend: 1168 httl: 1376
                vdsp: 768 vbeg: 769 vend: 772 vttl: 808 flags: 5
Which are repeated ~20 times.

It hasn't happened today yet, I'll have another look when it does.

Cheers

James