[Sderby] my make won't make!

James Gibbon sderby at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Jul 13 19:00:01 2003

Dave Williams wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> I've lurked on this list for some time and finally I have a question.
>
> I've installed Suse 8.2 and in attempting to add the Nvidia driver I've
> followed the instructions but I get an error
>
>   make: *** No rule to make target 'oldconfig'. Stop.
>
> This is after issuing the command 'make oldconfig'
>
> Any ideas why the make command doesn't work and how I can fix it?

Dave,

It sounds like either [a] you aren't issuing the make command from
the directory where the relevant Makefile is located, or [b]
contrary to what's suggested by the instructions, the Makefile
doesn't contain a rule called 'oldconfig'.   If I was a gambler, my
money would be on [a] ... is there an instruction to cd to a
particular directory that you've missed?

James