[Sderby] my make won't make!

David Bottrill sderby at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Jul 13 22:22:01 2003

On Sun, 2003-07-13 at 18:25, Dave Williams wrote:
> On 13 Jul, David Bottrill <david@bottrill.org> wrote:
> > Dave,
>
> > You don't need to go to all that grief, providing you have an internet
> > connection to you box, just run the Yast Online update, there is an
> > update option to download the binary modules directly from Nvidia. No
> > compilation is necessary.
>
> Unfortunately the Suse install must be non standard so it is necessary to
> go through some adjustments before the Nvidia install. I have already done
> the online update.

I'm running SuSE 8.2 on two boxes with nvidia cards and I have never
needed to do anything other than uses the yast online update to download
the nvidia drivers for me.

One of the PCs has a GeForce4 MX440 the other has a NTN2 both AGP cards
I also have a PCI GeForce2 card that also functions perfectly.

The modules that SuSE downloads for the nvidia cards is perfectly
configured for SuSE no configuration is required. When you installed
SuSE the installer should have figured out you had a nvidia card and
hence would installe the opensource nvidia driver also if you did an
initial online update the readme would have mentioned the need to
download the binary drivers from nvidia using the online update. Granted
for the first week afer 8.2 was released the YOU update to download from
nvidia was not available but that was soom remedied.

David

--
David Bottrill <david@bottrill.org>