[Sderby] (no subject)

David Bottrill sderby at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Jul 25 10:50:01 2003

Flashı³ Egis-Minsky said:

> Hi there."A few months ago I had a little flirt with Mandrake, (lol,
> that's all it turned out to be)"   - That sums up my entire linux lifeI
> was wondering what the most common distro that was used around here?

The two most popular distros used by LUG members are SuSE and Debian, I'm
a SuSE man myself.

> Also,
> does anyone know of anyone ever getting the ntl:home ntl:100 modem working
> thru the USB on linux. I've heard of difficaults (and some successes) but
> they either didn't say how, or said in a way that I didn't understand :-$

Why on earth would you want to connect to your NTL cable modem by USB?
Ethernet is far more flexible and simpler to configure. Picture the
situation that you want to move your PC to another room in your house,
with USB this would not be practical as I think the maximum length for a
USB cable is about 15 feet alternatively you can run 10BaseT Ethernet
through 100 Metres of cable. Also if you want to build a small LAN cheaply
either you could build a Linux firewall / router such as SmoothWall or
roll your own, alternatively you could purchase a dedicated cable router
these cost about £50 and again expect an Ethernet connection from the
router to the cable modem.

> I live in Castle Donington, so I think your my nearest LUG.Hope to see you
> all soonFlashı³

We meet every third Sunday for our official meeting in Moira, near Ashby,
we also have a pub night every friday in the Babbington Arms on Babbington
lane in Derby you are most welcome to join us.

Dave
--
David Bottrill

david@bottrill.org