[Sderby] Linux Advice

David Edmonds sderby at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Jun 4 18:36:01 2003

=46rom David and Sue Edmonds

We are a small business in Ashbourne, and run our business/domestic LAN (=
we
live over the shop) with 5 computers.

Presently the 5 computer LAN operates as peer/peer Win98, with external
web/e-mail connection via 2 machines which connect using ISDN Highway. Th=
two machines with external access have Norton 2002 Anti Virus.

Faxes and analogue connections are made using modems via the analogue
connections.

All works fine. (well as much as any system)

-------------------

=46rom 23rd June, we are getting ADSL, so need to work out how to re-desi=
gn
the system.

It's occurred to us to set up a dedicated server, but the cost of Windows=

2000 server is a bit high. We understand have been told that Linux will d=
almost all what we want, for much less money, and is reliable and stable.=

Can you advise where to buy Linux, and especially which "version" we need=

to do the following. =

Also how to join the S.Derbyshire user group if we go ahead with Linux.

1 - Network Faxing
2 - Network access to internet and e-mail.
3 - Firewall and Virus/Intruder protect the Server and LAN, (but only on
the server if possible.)

If possible 4 - Set up a single server for the main shared data.

Regards

DHE