[Sderby] Radio licences

sderby@mailman.lug.org.uk sderby at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Jun 6 13:12:00 2003

Thinking about it, would any of the Ametures like to give a talk at the
next LUG meeting (the one after this Sunday) about getting licenced?

I thought someone more authoritative than myself would reply before now,
so
I was keeping my mouth shut, because t
>e procedure may have changed in the
last few years since I recited this information with some certainty..

When I last considered getting a license, just before going to university=
,

the particulars were :

  Class B license - allowed to operate
>on 70cm and 2M bands
  Class A license - allowed to operate on shorter wavelengths (talk to
people further away).

To obtain a class A license, you need to secure a morse-code proficiency

test, and have a Class B license.

To obtain a class B
>icense, you need to pass a Radio Amateurs examination
which is set by the City and Guilds authority - the paper is in two parts=
,

a Radio Practice paper (which is quite easy, if you want to become a Radi=

Amateur this should be all the motivation
>ou need to become proficient
with this section of the examination !!), and an electronics theory paper=
,

which I say is quite hard, but I'm useless at anything electronic, so I
did
struggle through the chapters in the Radio Amateur Examination Man
>al.  I
might fare better this time.

Ever since I was a Club Amateur, there's been pressure on the Radio
Authority to make the examinations more inclusive before the hobby dies,
so
I hope it's got substantially easier to get a license (I don't
>now why you
need to pass Morse proficiency, to operate on frequencies where most peop=
le

communicate by *talking to each other*, and I don't understand why the
electronics test has to be so strict..).

If it has got easier than I'll certainly ha

--
Regards, Andy Davidson
<andy@nosignal.org>