[Sderby] Video Card Help for SuSe 6.2

Derek Huskisson derek at huskisson.free-online.co.uk
Sun Nov 2 12:18:26 GMT 2003

On Sat, 2003-11-01 at 05:20, Laurie L Proud wrote:
> Hi Folk's,
>
> I will be bringing this machine to the meeting on Sunday !
>
> Could Dom or Dave B refresh their memories how to install /configure
> SuSe 6.2 (yast 1), and help get X-windows running on this machine
> please.
>
> I've checked the box for the list of suported video cards, and it
> does say this card is suppored.  In that case I don't know why it
> diden't auto detect it.
>
> If all else fails could we get it to go in VESA mode.
>
> See you all Sunday.
>
> Regards Laurie
>

> On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 07:54:48 +0100BST, I wrote:
>
> > Hello Folks,
>
> > I tried last weekend to install Suse 6.2 on my friends no-name PC
> > using YAST (1) and SAX.
>
> > Came to a grinding halt as the video card isn't identified by SuSe 6.2
> > and I coulden't get it to go sucessfully in default VGA eather.
>
> > The video card is:
>
> > ALLIANCE SEMICONDUCTOR AT25 2D/3D ACCELERATOR PROMOTION
>
> > The id is FCC: 69577B

Hi
	Looks as if the driver you need is the APM one. There's some more
details here:-- http://www.xfree86.org/4.3.0/apm.4.html

I don't know SUSE very well but I think that 6.2 is a bit old and it may
not have  XF86-4 (the latest version of X) and you are stuck with
XF86-3, if that is the case then  there is mention of other drivers on
the web page below  using release 3 of X.
		 http://www.xfree86.org/3.3.6/apm.html

		best of luck
			Derek Huskisson

--