[Sderby] Home networking

Ian Simpson iansimpson at clara.co.uk
Sat Nov 22 07:08:58 GMT 2003

HI Chaps,

Been out of circulation for a while, moved house from Derby to
Ellistown (Tip: NEVER get involved with a house chain that
involves Bovis Homes - they strung us along for nearly 4 months
:-/

Now that we're in and settled I'm looking to network the
following machines:

Machine 1: 'white box' pc dual booting with WinMe and SuSe 8.2
Machine 2: iMac running OSX
Machine 3: Compaq Pressario 1200 laptop dual booting with WinMe
and SuSe Office Desktop (8.1?)
Machine 4: Packard Bell pc running Win95

Ideally I'd like to be able to share files / printers / internet
access etc and would appreciate any guidance or recommendations:

At the moment we've only got dial-up connection to the 'net -
whatever system I put in place must be upgradeable to accept
ADSL - I'm looking into getting it but we're right on the edge
of the area apparently.

If I'm going to need another box to act as a server I'd prefer
to get a new pc and use the Packard Bell machine if it's
suitable (it's a PII with 48MB RAM)

Regards,

    Ian
    iansimpson at clara.co.uk