[Sderby] Potts

Mike Hemstock sderby at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Sep 4 17:52:00 2003

On Wednesday 03 September 2003 17:44, James Tait wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've been lurking. :)
>
> On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 slh@f2s.com wrote:
> > Potts, on babington lane in derby, have just taken delivery of another
> > load of Compaq Deskpro EN, small form factor PC's. they had 2 stacks of
> > em, piled 5 foot high. apparently they're gonna sell em for about 40-50
> > quid Last time they had these in, i think members of SderbyLUG bought
> > most of em.
>
> This reminded me.  Potts also had a load of magnetic card readers, and I
> picked one up at the weekend for a fiver, just for fun.  I was wondering
> if anyone else from the LUG had done the same and had any joy.  I
> haven't got mine plugged into a machine yet, but if anyone knows
> anything about them it'll save me some work along the line. :)
>
> Cheers,
>
> JT

James,

I had the same idea a while back.  I wrote to the manufactures about the card
and they advised me that they were custom made for someone.  I think it was
BT.  I think they use a technology called watermark for the cards.  Anyway,
they will only read a certain type of magnetic card that is licenced to BT.
The negative upshot is that it's useless!

Mike.