[Sderby] IMAP server configuration for squirrelmail - SuSE 8.2

dave at armchair.mb.ca dave at armchair.mb.ca
Thu Sep 25 14:35:42 BST 2003

Someone wrote:

> I am trying to run squirrelmail using the SUSE 8.2 installation.
>
> When I try and log in I get the message "Unknown user or password
> incorrect"
>
> I dont think i have my IMAP server configured correctly.
> My maillog contains the following entry.
> Sep 25 10:50:28 linux10 imapd[8919]: imap service init from 127.0.0.1
> Sep 25 10:50:31 linux10 imapd[8919]: Command stream end of file, while
> reading line user=testspam host=localhost [127.0.0.1]
>
> What advice can you offer?

First, verify your IMAP installation works by using an IMAP compatible
mail client, such as Netscape or Evolution.

One possible problem is that squirrelmail has been configured for the
wrong vendor's IMAP server.  Run ./configure in the squirrelmail
directory.

Another possibility:  I've seen squirrelmail installations that
consistently fail on the first login attempt but succeed on the second.
I'm not sure why this occurs.

Maybe I should introduce myself, since I'm new here and haven't posted
before.  I'm a lecturer in Computing at the University of Derby.  I've
lived in England for three and a half years.  Prior to that, I was a
software developer in Canada.  I've played with Linux since 1991 (kernel
version 0.95!); used it for commercial Internet server, database server
and software development projects since 1993; and converted entirely from
Windows to Linux on the desktop in 2000.

Dave...