[Sderby] newbie on list

Patrick Barber patrick.barber at tiscali.co.uk
Sat Sep 27 14:01:40 BST 2003

Hi Claire,
IMHO, SuSE is probably the best for x86, a few on the list will back me
up, To me SuSE is more user friendly, it is easy to install, and its support
for different hardware is very good without having to mess around trying
to find and install drivers most are either on the distribution CDs or on
the updates website. If it is strange architectures, i.e. not x86 based
Debian is probably your best bet, although not as simple as SuSE or RH to
install.

Also unless you are going to consider compiling stuff yourself Debain also
seems to be a bit further behind in the version stakes, although as with
any distro, you can always get the latest stuff and compile and install
yourself.

As a side line all the 'members' of the list are helpful, and are always
willing to make suggestions.

Patrick

I just wanted to introduce myself to everyone. I'm Claire and I have joined
the list as I am very interested in installing Linux on my pc because my
patience with windows is rapidly wearing thin:-)  I have been reading about
it for a while b
>t still cannot determine which would be the best version to install. It
seems that Mandrake and SuSe are the top runners for a newbie to linux like
me, easiest to install etc but Debian also seems to be good. Any suggestions
appreciated please.

Look
>forward to chatting with you all

Claire