[Sderby] newbie on list

James Gibbon james.gibbon at virgin.net
Sun Sep 28 18:23:45 BST 2003

Chris wrote:

> Welcome :-)  I found Mandrake was the first distro that actually
> worked 'out of the box'.  This is despite many previous attempts
> to install other flavours - Red Hat, Debian, etc.  But this is
> Linux, and everyone has their own preferences

I've consistently found Mandrake to be the friendliest distro in
the three or so years that I've been running Linux on my desktop &
laptop, in terms of ease of installation and use, recognition of
hardware, and ease of finding & installing new packages from rpm.

In that time I've installed a few different versions of Mandrake, A
few of RedHat, a couple of SuSE and I gave Debian a go once.
Debian in particular is a bit arch - even speaking as someone with
10 yrs+  Unix administration & systems management experience, I
found it too much hassle to install and configure.