[Sderby] newbie on list

David Bottrill david at bottrill.org
Sat Sep 27 21:08:13 BST 2003

On Sat, 2003-09-27 at 19:57, Mike Hemstock wrote:
> On Saturday 27 September 2003 14:01, Patrick Barber wrote:
> > Hi Claire,
> > IMHO, SuSE is probably the best for x86, a few on the list will back me
> > up, To me SuSE is more user friendly, it is easy to install, and its
> > support for different hardware is very good without having to mess around
> > trying to find and install drivers most are either on the distribution CDs
> > or on the updates website. If it is strange architectures, i.e. not x86
> > based Debian is probably your best bet, although not as simple as SuSE or
> > RH to install.
> >
> > Also unless you are going to consider compiling stuff yourself Debain also
> > seems to be a bit further behind in the version stakes, although as with
> > any distro, you can always get the latest stuff and compile and install
> > yourself.
> >
> > As a side line all the 'members' of the list are helpful, and are always
> > willing to make suggestions.
> >
> > Patrick
>
> OK Pat, I'll back you up!
>
> At the risk of starting a flame war, I think SuSE and Mandrake are best for
> beginners, Debian is good for the experienced user and Red Hat is good for
> nothing!
>
> I haven't played with Mandrake for a while, but I think SuSE has the edge for
> several reasons.  Firstly it has loads (about 2,500) software packages on the
> CDs.  Secondly, the installer is a lot easier, it claims three clicks and
> amazingly they're right!  It guesses a lot of the configuration itself and
> for a beginer it's very accurate.  Also, it does a very good job of detecting
> and configuring hardware.  NICs and Sound cards can be setup without user
> intervention and X server setup is also very easy.  It even includes setup of
> things like TV cards during the installation.  Finally it comes with a tool
> for YaST which is excellent for configureing your system.
>
> My 2p.
>
> /ME grabs the fire proof trousers!
>
> Mike.

Welcome Claire,

Like Mike and Patrick, I prefer SuSE, and as Pat says Debian is good if
you are not running Intel X86 Hardware. I run SuSE as my main Desktop
and I have 3 servers running SuSE and I have no problems whatsoever. I
took the plunge about 2 1/2 years ago and switched from Window$ 2000 to
SuSE and I haven't looked back, there are some very good opensource
applications out there that in a lot of cases are better than equivalent
Window$ applications.

--
David Bottrill <david at bottrill.org>