[Sderby] distro for newbie

David Bottrill david at bottrill.org
Mon Sep 29 19:50:10 BST 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-29 at 19:38, claire wrote:
> Well chaps we are at evens here I think!  SuSE    4  Mandrake   4 .
>
> I am going to be downloading linux onto a new empty HD retaining W98SE on
> the other HD while I learn to use linux and train my (almost) 10 yr old
> daughter to use it as well.  What I could do with is coming to one of your
> meetings so that I could see Linux in action as no one else I know has this
> OS (they are all microsoft junkies).
> Plus you wonderful chaps could talk me through installation  (please please
> please <big smile>). And maybe one of you could show me how to network our
> two pc's together on linux (it is right now on W's) as small person ain't
> allowed to use mine!
> By the time the meeting takes place I will have decided which distro to use
> but SuSE seems to be getting the edge slightly.
>
> Thanks for all your advice so far though chaps, much appreciated.
>
> Claire

Claire,

The next meeting is on Sunday 12th October in Moira, if you know where
that is, if not just yell and we will provide directions, likewise yell
if you need a lift, I'm sure one of the gallant gents will offer!!

We spend most of our time at the meeting showing people how to install
and fix any problems. This usually consists of fixing obscure problems
on obscure laptops, so if you can bring your PC we will show you how
it's done. I will certainly have a set of SuSE discs with me and I'm
sure Mike will as well.

With any luck if we can fix the broadband connection to the meeting room
we can also do an update from the internet to make sure you have the
latest patches, If not I can probably get them burnt onto a CD,
providing they still fit, I haven't had a look at the size recently.

Dave

--
David Bottrill <david at bottrill.org>