[Sderby] Worthwhile setting up DHCP and DNS servers?

David Jolley dave at lucien.cx
Tue Sep 30 12:34:10 BST 2003

>Dave,
>
>I would recommend setting up DHCP and DNS on your network it is very easy
>and does have a lot of benefits. What I have yet to do is link DNS and
>DHCP dynamically although I believe this is very easy to do.

I never said it was easy; it is possible, but requires a great deal of
wading through really opaque documentation.  I've now got DHCP and DNS
at home with the new arrival, so I'm going to be looking at linking the
two together at some point in the future.  When it's done I'll write a
DNS+DHCP HOWTO, which does seem to be sadly lacking at the moment.

>If you want a simple method of accessing Linux from your wife's PC, SuSE
>8.2 has a built in VNC server it just needs enabling in xinetd (can be
>done in YAST) and then put the vnc client on your wife's PC. Alternatively
>have a look at www.nomachine.com their NX technology works very well
>although it's not totally opensource.

Or, to answer his question, Cygwin/XFree.  Download the Cygwin installer
from http://sources.redhat.com and run it.  When promted, select all the
software you want, including XFree86.  It uses DirectX on Windows to
draw the X commands it gets sent and works really well, network
bandwidth shouldn't be an issue.

Cheers,

Dave.

--
Curiosity was framed; ignorance killed the cat.