[Sderby] Worthwhile setting up DHCP and DNS servers?

David Bottrill david at bottrill.org
Tue Sep 30 14:08:58 BST 2003

David Jolley said:

>>Dave,
>>
>>I would recommend setting up DHCP and DNS on your network it is very easy
>>and does have a lot of benefits. What I have yet to do is link DNS and
>>DHCP dynamically although I believe this is very easy to do.
>>

> I never said it was easy; it is possible, but requires a great deal of
> wading through really opaque documentation.  I've now got DHCP and DNS
> at home with the new arrival, so I'm going to be looking at linking the
> two together at some point in the future.  When it's done I'll write a
> DNS+DHCP HOWTO, which does seem to be sadly lacking at the moment.
>
>>If you want a simple method of accessing Linux from your wife's PC, SuSE
>>8.2 has a built in VNC server it just needs enabling in xinetd (can be
>>done in YAST) and then put the vnc client on your wife's PC.
>> Alternatively
>>have a look at www.nomachine.com their NX technology works very well
>>although it's not totally opensource.
>>

> Or, to answer his question, Cygwin/XFree.  Download the Cygwin installer
> from http://sources.redhat.com and run it.  When promted, select all the
> software you want, including XFree86.  It uses DirectX on Windows to
> draw the X commands it gets sent and works really well, network
> bandwidth shouldn't be an issue.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dave.

I've run KDE on Cygwin and had horrendous memory leaks, maybe that's a KDE
thing though. There is also a Java based X server I've played with, I
think it may be on the SuSE disk 1 in the dosutils folder. However the
reason I like the VNC capability of SuSE 8.2 is that once you run the VNC
client you are presented with a standard KDM logon screen which for a non
Linux savvy user is simpler than using SSH and then manually exporting the
display back to the X server, the NX client/server from nomachine works in
a similar way to VNC you just login to the client and then a remote
desktop opens in a window. You can even set NX just to run a single
application on the remote linux box and if you tell it to remember the
username and password you can create a desktop icon that once run will
open an application in a window in such a way that the user would be
unaware that it wasn't running locally. NX has much of the functionality
of Windows Terminal Server or Citrix Metaframe in that you can publish a
complete desktop or a single application.

Dave