[Sderby] Monitor problems

David Jolley dave at lucien.cx
Tue Sep 30 15:08:38 BST 2003

Ashley Heath wrote:

>My monitor has just started playing up, it started with the occasional display reset as if the power was quickly being turned off and back on, this probably happened 3-4 times over the past week. Now it has started doing this every few seconds, each time with a clicking sound like a whip cracking and the display resetting several times.
>
>Does anyone know what may be causing this?

This to me sounds like a monitor discharging it's VSync or HSync
capacitors to earth rather than through the inductor as would be normal.

I'm sorry to be the harbinger of doom, but I'm guessing your monitor is
about dead, and that you really should avoid touching it as it's likely
to be discharging a rather large voltage through an arc-gap to earth
rather than through it's normal circuitry.  Have you knocked the monitor
recently?

Cheers

Dave