[Sderby] Interested in joining

Rix M rix_101 at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 13 00:18:04 BST 2004

Hello,

I am studying software engineering at the university of Derby(1st year) I
have been trying to install a linux distribution onto my 300 mhz desktop on
a second hard drive.  So far I have tried both
Slackware and debian 3.0r2m, the former wouldn't install and kept crashing
(I posted questions on a few boards but nothing worked so I assumed hardware
issues.) and the latter won't run startx without crashing (no matter what i
specify as the monitor make).  I have had a small amount of experience
working a bash prompt due to having a unix account when i was younger. I
want to learn more about the linux environment especially with regards to
programming.  I am currently at home for the easter break but will be
returning to derby by the end of next week.  I would very much like to
attend LUG meetings but I am somewhat confined to Derby due to not owning a
car. However I am going to endeavour to be at the virtual meeting tomorrow
to just listen in on what is happening (I'm usually registered as Rix or
Rix_101).  I would be very greatful if anyone could offer me any advice
about my problems (obviously i would provide more details) as I'm begginning
to get a bit dispondant.

Thanks for taking the time to read (and hopefully reply) to this e-mail,

Rix