[Sderby] Re: Billion seconds passed since 1970 Unix incept date bug.

James Gibbon james.gibbon at virgin.net
Thu Apr 15 11:56:22 BST 2004

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 03:56:54 +0000
L L Proud <laurie at g0llp.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

> What are the options for fixing this ?
>
> 1) Is it possible to upgrade KMail to a later version without the
>     resource hit of KDE 2.X on his memory.

Highly unlikely, I'm afraid

> 2) Is there another GUI based email program that does not have this
>     problem.

Yes, of course, though recent versions of more popular mailers may require
recent versions of the Gnome or KDE libraries, and migrating mail folders
to the new format may be a real headache in some cases.

I must admit I'd forgotten about the Sept '01 event - I remember seeing
warning emails about it in late 2000 & early 2001.

I have to say a hardware upgrade seems like the easiest and best option
- more memory, or perhaps another PC.  A two or three year old PC off
ebay would comfortably outperform the 32MB box and wouldn't cost the
Earth - and of course, it would bring other benefits apart from a newer
version of kmail.