[Sderby] Upgrading

Paul Grosse paul-grosse at ntlworld.com
Wed Apr 21 10:05:32 BST 2004

> On Monday 19 April 2004 17:51, Dave Coulson wrote:
> > Sorry if I'm being a bit thick but I would like to upgrade my Suse 7.2
> > the hard way. What I can't fathom is that on the Suse ftp page the
> > directories are marked 7.2,7.3 etc. Does that mean that if I wish to
> > convert from 7.2 to 7.3 I have to download all of the 7.2 directory or
> > all of the 7.3 one and install. The directory in question is on Suse ftp
> > page under discontinued/i386/upgrade.
> > I know this sounds silly to all you experts but I think everyone should
> > try to keep the system up to date occasionally, as part of the Linux
ethos.
> > Don't laugh too loud though!!!
> > Cheers David Coulson
>
> Are you coming to the next meeting?  I can burn you a set of SuSE 9.0
discs.

> Mike.

I've just (a few weeks ago) updated SuSE 8.2 to SUSE (note the capitalised
'U') 9.0 using ftp. I can't see why going to 7.3 from 7.2 should be any
different.

I d/ld the iso for 9.0, burned it onto a CDR then booted up with that (then
got lost in the menu system) but there are a few things you are going to
have to note if you haven't got another machine running at the same time:
1). the ip address of the site you are d/ling from and
2). the directory you are d/ling from.

I started it off at about 22:00, nursed it through the initial screens
(update or fresh install, keyboard and so on) and then let it get on with
it. The rest is as the original disc install I did except that it now has
the site I d/led as a SUSE source site for the software in YaST2. I have a
600kb BB connection and it estimated 2 hours for the process but I don't
know what it did take (less I presume until it got to the stage where it was
waiting for me to do something).

Paul Grosse.

BTW, anyone know when 9.1 shoud be on the web as an ftp d/l