[Sderby] Re: Getting the GUI to display through VNC

James Gibbon james.gibbon at virgin.net
Sun Aug 29 13:57:55 BST 2004

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 11:32:26 +0100
<Chris.Dawson at aaug.net> wrote:

> I'm a bit of a newbie to Linux and have spent some time setting up a
> server to act as a backup on which to hold copies of my data.
>
> I now want to move it into another part of the house and run it
> remotely, accessing it via VNC.
>
> I've go VNC working but I get terminal type screen and not the gui
> (gnome in my case).

Chris,

I've never used any of the 'remote control' programs, either with
Linux or Windows - but do you really need to run your remote server
that way?  You can easily run X applications (ie that will run
under Gnome) individually on the server from your local PC (even if
your local PC is running Windows, if you have an X server for it).

James