[Sderby] Re: VoIP meets IM

Trevor Ward trw at dlogical.co.uk
Wed Dec 8 21:14:47 GMT 2004

Ashley Heath wrote:

>On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 19:39:27 +0000
>James Gibbon <james.gibbon at virgin.net> wrote:
>

>>On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 18:25:42 +0000
>>Paul Grosse <paul-grosse at ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Folks,
>>>
>>>Anyone know of anything that is a mixture of Instant Messaging and VoIP? The
>>>spec is that someone wants to be able to send voice messages to certain IPs
>>>on a LAN (in the same way that IMs can be done but using sound). Are there
>>>any existing products that can do this?
>>>

>>Well - some IM products have integrated voice support in the Windows world
>>(Yahoo messenger, MSN) but voice (and webcam) support in their Linux
>>equivalents is very flaky in my experience.
>>

>Not sure what gnomemeeting offers in the way of leaving messages, but may be worth a look
>
>Ash

>Join us on IRC: irc.lug.org.uk #sderby

The only Product I can recommend is Skype.   it allows very well for
voice over internet throughout internal network and full internet
access. It also is available for Windows, Linux and Mac.   currently
some 1.2 million people are logged onto the service.

Doesn't really do web cam but does allow for really cheap phone calls to
the states etc.