[Sderby] VoIP meets IM

Patrick Barber patrick.barber at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Dec 8 21:15:41 GMT 2004

Paul Grosse wrote:

>Folks,
>
>Anyone know of anything that is a mixture of Instant Messaging and VoIP? The
>spec is that someone wants to be able to send voice messages to certain IPs
>on a LAN (in the same way that IMs can be done but using sound). Are there
>any existing products that can do this?

Take a look at phonegaim (http://www.phonegaim.com/)....it is available
for linspire (linodws) as a compiled package, or as src code for the
rest of us I haven't yet been able to get it to compile. It uses the
GAIM messaging client with a SIP (Session Initiation Protocol) client
built in for voice. It is spoken very highly by the guys at
www.sipphone.com

--

<regards>
	Patrick Barber
	email: patrick.barber at tiscali.co.uk
	irc channel: irc.lug.org #sderby
	sip://17472442712@proxy1.sipphone.com
	sip://451587@fwd.pulver.com
	Registered Linux User #332139

	<thought>
		Is the light at the end of the tunnel an on coming train?
	</thought>
</regards>