[Sderby] Bad internet speed only on one www page

Sam Styles s.styles at lathamarchitects.co.uk
Mon Dec 13 10:23:13 GMT 2004

Hi all,

This is a problem which has been bugging me for a while now. I swapped over
from w*ndows to Mandrake 10.1 about a couple of months ago and everything is
great apart from when trying to view the one internet page which is most
important to me. Its a forum page I'm a moderator of so its a bit annoying.
Basicly, the internet speed is fine (for 56k) on all pages on the internet
but this one. When I try and visit it starts to load, then slows right down.
Konqueror tells me that the speed drops from normal right down to a few bits
per second. Why do you think this would happen with this particular page? To
tell you the truth I haven't tried visiting other forums, I'll try that and
see if they load properly.

So far Ive tried: using different browsers (Konqueror, Mozilla, Firefox 1)
and trying to play with the firewall settings. It doesnt matter which
browser I use. I did download Lynx but I tried to install it and got error
messages I know nothing about, being a Linux newbe I havn't really got a
clue.
Which leads me to another brick wall I've hit: I can't disable the firewall
properly. I actualy managed to disable the whole firewall once (about 3 or 4
weeks ago) and I could load the forum page. But now its gone back and it
won't disable. Besides, I don't want to disable the whole firewall, just the
bit which is blocking my forum. I think it might be something to do with the
firewall and web pages which load from databases, like forums?? Everytime I
go to the control centre and disable some of the firewall options. I then
exit, go back in to check and they are enabled again. I've tried it as root,
rebooting after, neither work, they still stay enabled. help! Is there a
file I can edit somewhere to manualy disable the firewall options?

I do hope someone is able to shed some light on this!

Regards

Sam
---