[Sderby] Re: Bad internet speed only on one www page

James Gibbon james.gibbon at virgin.net
Mon Dec 13 13:08:35 GMT 2004

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 10:25:08 -0000
"Sam Styles" <s.styles at lathamarchitects.co.uk> wrote:

> This is a problem which has been bugging me for a while now. I swapped
> over from w*ndows to Mandrake 10.1 about a couple of months ago and
> everything is great apart from when trying to view the one internet
> page which is most important to me. Its a forum page I'm a moderator
> of so its a bit annoying. Basicly, the internet speed is fine (for
> 56k) on all pages on the internet but this one. When I try and visit
> it starts to load, then slows right down. Konqueror tells me that the
> speed drops from normal right down to a few bits per second. Why do
> you think this would happen with this particular page?

Well, it sounds very much like an issue on the server that provides the
webpage, not something to do with your client.  If it's a generally
accessible page maybe you could post the URL so a couple of us can see
if we have the same experience.

Later in your mail you refer to firewall problems.  What firewall are
you using?  I can't remember offhand what M10.x uses, and I haven't
used one on my actual box myself for a long time (I use an external
firewall in my router).

I used to use shorewall; I think Mandrake may use that one by default: in
which case (if memory serves) you'd stop the firewall by doing a "service
shorewall stop" as root.