[Sderby] SMOOTHWALL

Graham Rounce graham at rounce.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Feb 19 20:26:01 GMT 2004

Hi - What modem were you using when you were using Smoothwall with Freeserve?   I'm having trouble making it work with Freeserve ADSL with the CopperJet modem.   Did you have to do anything special?

Thanks for reading,

Graham Rounce

Hi
I'm having problems connecting to NTL broadband via a smoothwall box. Up
until 2 weeks ago I had a smoothwall version 1 box as a proxy to freeserve
(BT) broadband and all worked well. However, I moved house, BT were an
incompetent pain, I changed to NTL. The account is working ok using a set
top box and a windowsXP client.

I thought it would be a good time to upgrade to smoothwall 2.0 (beta 7) and
duly wiped my old box and set up a new one - green and red interfaces.

If I connect the smoothwall box to my set top box I can connect to the
internet on the smoothwall box ie. I can ping www.bbc.co.uk from the command
line as root. However, I cannot connect a client machine to the Internet
through the smoothwall box. I can connect a client to the smoothwall box and
display the web interface for the box *but* I can't change any settings on
the box using the web interface eg. select ssh or shutdown - they just don't
work. I think something is broken on the smoothwall box but I don't know
where to start looking.

My other alternative is to reinstall with either v1 or v2.

Any ideas?

Dave Williams