[Sderby] suse 8.2 crashing

David Jolley dave at lucien.cx
Mon Feb 23 17:14:50 GMT 2004

L Wright wrote:

> Thanks for the advice Paul. I had already re-installed in case the
> original was bad. I have dowloaded the updates (although I couldn't
> see one for athlon). The situation now is that I can use Konquerer and
> can open Yast2. If I try to open OpenOffice I get a window for ooop
> wrapper then the system hangs. If I try to update OpenOffice the
> system hangs. This is the case with other software such as Gimp. Shell
> windows also crash the machine as does trying to log off. Is there a
> way I can systematically troubleshoot what is going on such as system
> logs/ calls etc?
> Leigh

If this is happening with "standard" software like XTerms (I'm assuming
xterms, although if you're using KDE, chances are they're K shell
windows), I'd think it fairly likely that glibc hadn't installed
correctly after an update, or at least *some* library hadn't updated
itself correctly, most likely one of Qt or Gtk (Gimp uses Gtk, KDE apps
use Qt).  But if this was the case, I'd expect a lot more than what
you've listed to be going wrong.
This is a real long shot, but can you run ldconfig (as root) to see if
that cures the problems - this will re-populate the linker cache, and
tell it where all the libraries are.
That might in itself throw up a few errors, you could do worse than
fixing any that appear.

To see how far a program goes through it's run, and what file
descriptors it opens, you can run the program under a little utility
called strace (basically strace <program-name> ), which intercepts the
library calls and shows you what's happening in the program.  This very
rarely outputs less than 10 pages of information though, so is the last
resort option (practically speaking) although the last 4 or 5 lines of
the output might yield something, who knows :)

As for system logs, Suse seems to make a lot of use of /var/log/messages
- everything seems to be logged into it; although this is usually used
for system services (daemons) which don't have a terminal to output
their errors to, IYSWIM - so might not actually show anything useful.
On my Suse system, I can't find where the dynamic linker error messages
(if there are any) are configured to go to.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dave.