[Sderby] suse 8.2 crashing

David Bottrill david at bottrill.org
Mon Feb 23 16:53:35 GMT 2004

L Wright said:
> Thanks for the advice Paul. I had already re-installed in case the
> original
> was bad. I have dowloaded the updates (although I couldn't see one for
> athlon). The situation now is that I can use Konquerer and can open Yast2.
> If I try to open OpenOffice I get a window for ooop wrapper then the
> system
> hangs. If I try to update OpenOffice the system hangs. This is the case
> with other software such as Gimp. Shell windows also crash the machine as
> does trying to log off. Is there a way I can systematically troubleshoot
> what is going on such as system logs/ calls etc?
> Leigh

I had a similar prob with 8.2 and a Gigabit motherboard I bought, X would
crash at random. I returned the motheboard, got a replacement and had the
same prolem. In the end I sold the motherboard to a windows user and
bought another Asus motherboard the same as in my main PC and that worked
fine.

My guess is that Linux support for some of the motherboard chips is not 100%.

It's is possible that you may have a memory fault, it may be an idea to
boot from the first SuSE cd and run the memory test, this could take
serveral hours!

If the memory test works OK it may be worth trying SuSE 9.0 as this has a
later kernel with a lot of good stuff back-ported from the 2.6 Kernel so
thaat if it is buggy suport for tyour motherboard chipset then 9.0 may fix
it.

David

--
David Bottrill