[Sderby] Linux on a laptop.

Graham Hamblin graham at hamblin24.f9.co.uk
Fri Feb 27 11:28:35 GMT 2004

Hi

I have recently acquired a Hewlett Packard Omnibook 5700CT Pentium 1
166Mhz  49meg memory and a 3ghz HD on which I am trying to install
Linux.

It will not boot from the CDrom and I have tried installing both
Slackware and Mandrake 9 without success.   I have tried every bbot
image in Slackware and the one from Mandrake and on every occasion the
boot process hangs at the Partition check: hda:   I have tried putting
the hda parameters in eg. hda=5968,16,63 the probed details of hda in
bios and that results in not being able to find a boot image to suit.

The thing currently has Windows ME on it, having used Linux exclusively
for about 10 years, I haven't the faintest idea about Windows.

The question is should I just bin it or does anyone have any idea how to
get some sort of Linux system on it?   Of course all my older versions
which may have been useful have long gone, gifts mostly to encourage
others to the cause.

Any help would be appreciated and thanks in anticipation.

Graham

--
Graham Hamblin
Red Hat Linux 9